Tuesday 25 March 2008

Me, robbers and the police...

I jinxed myself. Just the other day I was thinking ´Aren´t I lucky, traveling for such a long time and I have never been robbed´...

So what happened? Two things actually. Two weeks ago I was on the phone to someone in Venezuela about my plane ticket to Suriname (yes, complicated, I will not bore you with the full story). You have those closed off phone booths here in Peru; very handy. So I was on the phone, my bag between my legs and I was getting pretty agitated with the people on the other line when I felt something touching my leg. I looked down and I saw a guy trying to grab my bag. In an impulse I half kicked him and yelled in Spanish (yes, I am integrating pretty well) ´Fuera´ which literally means ´get out´ but it has the connotation of ´piss off´...I was pretty amuzed with myself lateron that I responded in Spanish...So 1 point for me, 0 for the robbers and 0 for the police...(Maaike 1 - Robber 0 - Police 0)

Then the revenge of the robbers community...On sunday I was in a local bus with 2 of my friends. Marleene and I were sitting at the back of the bus, both holding our bags on our lap. On the left hand side there was a Peruvian guy sitting as well. No problem, we had some small talk (that´s as far as I get in Spanish) and we got off at Cusco. Marleene, Rudolf and I went for coffee and when I wanted to pay I noticed my wallet and my camera were gone...Damn. Maaike 1 - Robber 1 - Police 0

To be honest I wasn´t really angry. The guy obviously was an expert, I mean; my bag on my lap AND I was hugging it! I hope he will spend the money well. On school fees for his children, or a nice present for his wife, some good food or on some repairs on his house (this is my story, so I can think what I want and I like to think positive!!)

So what to do when you get robbed? Exactly, I rang my bank and cancelled my ATM-card. Luckily I left my credit card, more cash, pasport and driving license at home. Next step: the lovely Peruvian police. Marleene joined me to help me out with the Spanish if needed. So off we went, Tourist Police here we come. We walked in, and first I asked whether they spoke English. Nope. Maaike 1 - Robber 1 - Police 1

Ok, Spanish it is. I explained what happened and what got stolen. The policewoman looked at my suspiciously. A very macho man joined her and asked me again what happened and persisted that I showed him how I was holding my bag in the bus. So I did and then he said he didn´t believe me and he walked off. Maaike 1 - Robber 1 - Police 2
It gets worse. So I say it´s true (¡Es verdad!) and the man starts laughing about it. What the fuck?! Maaike 1 - Robber 1 - Police 3
Then the lady says I have to prove I was in the bus. But I cannot, because the mountainbike guide paid the busdriver...But ok, if they want to play it like that; I will ring Percy and ask for the freaking ticket. Don´t mess with Maaike... Maaike 2 - Robber 1 - Police 3
Half an hour later I´m back with Percy and he tells his story. Yes, mister police, we were all in a public bus...Percy translates some additional stuff and they sort of believe me (not willingly though!). Time to make a report. Maaike 3 - Robber 1 - Police 3
Name, nationality, pasport number and address in Peru please. ´The exact adddress´ I ask, because I know the street name, but the full address of my family was on a piece of paper in, exactly, my stolen wallet. ´Si, senorita, no es possible sin direccion´ and why did I live with a Peruvian family anyway (very very suspicious looks at me again...) Maaike 3 - Robber 1 - Police 4
So I ask if it´s possible to arrange everything for the police report except my address because at least now Percy is there to help me out with the Spanish. Nope, they cannot do that...Maaike 3 - Robber 1 - Police 5
So Percy jumps in and says he will come back with me tomorrow when I have the address. You got to love Percy!!! And guess what, both the policeman and woman swith to English...freaking losers! Maaike 5 - Robber 1 - Police 5 (yes, I think I deserve 2 points for that!!)

After this episode I told my Peruvian family and my Peruvian mother went wild. Who does the police think they are in not believing me! Great mum, so she wrote down the address, phone number and everything she could think off on a piece of paper and she even offered to go with me.
The next day I head to the police. I´m in a different world. There is a friendly, English speaking, policeman taking down my story, without doubting me. Maaike 6 - Robber 1 - Police 5
Ok, all is done. I only needed to go to the bank to pay 3 soles 50 (almost 1 euro) to get the report the next day...What, I need to pay for this? Maaike 6 - Robber 1 - Police 6
Percy shows me where to get the ticket and the next day I hop back to the police station to meet the same rude policemen again who now have to hand over my ´hot-wanted´ police report...

Final score: Maaike 7 - Robber 1 - Police 6

Going with the score: a Maaike with loads of frustation, a full Peruvian experience and without wallet and camera...And anyone who dears to suggest that I should put some lively pictures with this story, I will personaly kick his or her ass as soon as I see that person...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Maaike, that's horrific. You poor thing. Each paragraph was unbelievable. Fair play for reporting your crime in Spanish, very impressive. What a joke, the police saying they didn't believe you!

All is not rosy in the India garden either. Ellie has now been sick constantly for two weeks with two separate illnesses. Today a doctor sent us away to find another doctor to take the form we had and copy the details *exactly* onto another form which we were then allowed to bring back to the original doctor. sigh.

Sounds like your spanish is feckin superb. Reading your blog reminds us how much we enjoyed learning it too.

patrick said...

Where are the lively pictures with this story? Would be great with them ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

How many pictures/videos did you lose? Good you have all the previous ones on back up...

Maaike Jongerius said...

Mark & Ellie
Oh nooo, being sick is no good. Luckily you have some local friends who can help you out? Take care and take it slow!

Patrick
Note to self; cancel flight to NZ

Femke
Only lost my pictures of the last two weeks in Cusco and since I have some friends here who went with me on trips it´s not too bad. Except the video of the ladies singing...damned, that would have been so cool...

Anonymous said...

Oh no, you're NOT cancelling a flight that I already paid for...

Anonymous said...

Grrmmmbbblll. I gonna come on over and kick some robber butt. If you leave some for me that is.