Friday 16 May 2008

The Dutch 'me'















The dutch things: the Dom, the canals and my bike for the week. Can it get any more Dutch than that: an orange bike! (with special thanks to Sara!!)















My 2 weeks in the Netherlands involved a lot of eating, drinking and having excellent BBQ's with VIP's from the Netherlands (meet the vibrant Guusje) and Belgium (meet the lovely Eefje). And yes, I must admit I choose that beer because of its name...Am I a 'flierefluiter'?








The main reason of my 'Dutch trip': to see my family (sorry no pictures there...) and friends. My dad always says 'Maaike, you have too many friends': for once I agree because I didn't have enough time to see everyone. So yes many friends and many friends in different generations...Some wise men (Thomas and Jan) who think they are getting older, but I disagree. They also think they are getting wiser... My best friend from university, Catherine and boyfriend Floor who do scary grown-up things like having a mortgage, doing a phd and having a steady job. And last but certainly not least: My good friend Petra with her gorgeous son Toon who I adore (he already likes olives...repect!)

My two weeks have flown by: it was fun, I enjoyed it but I'm happy to go. I will not miss the Netherlands, but I will miss the people who live here. I have started a pro New Zealand PR and EVERYone has said that they will come and visit...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you are right..for everybody there is a place in the world where you can be happy and from day one we knew that the netherlands wasnt going to be it for you..so stay put there in NZ and we'll aaaaaalll visit you some day! then you can show us "your country"hopefully!haha.
ttyl and have fun with you boyfriend:))) Stef