Thursday 20 December 2007

My new career!

As long as I can remember my deepest desire has been that I wanted to become a cleaning lady when I was a grown-up. I wrote that in all 'vriendenboekjes' and for some reason I lost track of that. Apparently becoming a teacher and later on a consultant seemed more appealing. Thank God I got my act together and I am absolutely loving my new career: I am finally a cleaning lady!!! And I am damned good at it as well if I may say so myself... (I already 'earned' a bottle of wine for working that hard...)

My welcome at the Hopewell Hostel in Marlborough Sounds has been more than great. My bosses, Lynley and Mike, are absolutely relaxed and lovely, the surroundings are superb and my extra benefits (let's call them 'secundaire arbeidsvoorwaarden') are in one word fantastic. I work in the mornings (cleaning, making beds etc.) and in the afternoons I can 'play'. Considering the fact that I love being outdoor, the kayaking, the mountain biking, the hiking, the beach, the outside air and the beautiful nature are amazing. Besides that, there are lovely people staying here and for some reason people are constantly offering to make me dinners (great, thanks!) and the best benefit of all is that Mike loves seafood and he makes the most delicious mussels ever...And we have them every third night or so...How is that for a benefit, who needs a laptop, a mobile, an OV card (free public transport) or a bonus at the end of a year? Not me, I'll take the mussels!! No other job can EVER top that.

And even though it has been raining quite a lot over the last few days, I have not been bored, because I bought myself a Spanish course to learn a bit of Spanish before heading to South America. I haven't learnt a new language since I was 13, so picking up the Spanish is great: it keeps my brain active!

And sorry, no pictures: the computer is too slow...well, the hopewell website says it all...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's almost as cool as being a mailman, emphasis on almost.

*nerd-mode on*
Their site looks cool, sleek, uncluttered AND it is fast. If you're on a slow connection you can't load a site fast. Their site seems to be properly hosted, because it loads fast here. Ping times are 300ms.
*nerd-mode off*

I'm making paella tomorrow, wanna have some?

Maaike Jongerius said...

only if you use fresh mussels...

Anonymous said...

yummy-mussels!!!cool, you can make me some paella when you get back;-)

Anonymous said...

yummy-mussels!!!cool, you can make me some paella when you get back, Sjored;-)

Anonymous said...

Lieve Maaike,

Hoe was je kerst? Vast raar zo in de zomer, haha! Ik wil je natuurlijk een super 2008 wensen en dat het allemaal helemaal geweldig voor je wordt! Waar je dan ook ter wereld bent.....haha! Geniet nog van je reizen! Ik ga komende week de sneeuw in Zwisterland opzoeken en halsbrekende capriolen uithalen, maar daar bericht ik je later wel weer over! Geniet van de jaarwisseling!

XX Annick

Anonymous said...

Hoi Maaike! De allerbeste wensen voor 2008!!!! Kan me voorstellen dat schoonmaken een stuk leuker is (in die omgeving) dan 'being a consultant'! Veel plezier en succes met je Spaans! Lfs, Hilde