Tuesday 29 April 2008

Glorious Suriname!

I’m getting slack at the end, I’m sorry. So much to tell, so much to write, but where to start?

Shall I start with the only negative story of my trip? I prefer to tell only the lovely things, so if you see me next just ask me how my trip from Peru via Venezuela to Suriname was like and I will tell you about how I spend the night at the domestic airport in Caracas, alone, by my self, feeling truly unsafe, I will tell you how I solved it by talking to all the security guards in Spanish to make sure they would help me if needed. I will elaborate about the horrible Venezuelan airline Conviasa who ripped me off and moreover annoyed the hell out of me. I will tell you how it feels to be awake for 48 hours, how annoying airport taxes are and how my tired face helped me with the customs when I just didn’t have hat 50 US dollars anymore to pay the 5th airport tax. I will tell you how scary it is when that dodgy airline lets everyone disembark the plane due to technical reasons, 2 hours later they get everyone on again and then during take off (yes, take off) the plane makes an emergency stop and we go back to the airport to disembark again. After another 2 hours we get on the SAME plane to finally go to Porlamar, luckily without any problems, but with an huge delay so I’m afraid I will miss my connection to Trinidad…but of course that plane was delayed for several hours as well, so I could start worrying about missing my connection to Suriname…And did I say I didn’t sleep for 48 hours? And then on all the planes nobody spoke English, so I was doing everything in Spanish, but when we got to Trinidad where everyone speaks English, all the Spanish speaking people wanted me to help them translate everything. And when I finally arrived in Suriname, I could have spoken Dutch to the custom officer because in Suriname the official language is Dutch, but the officer looked at me and said although I had a Dutch passport that he could not understand me. ‘What language are you speaking?’ he asked. And then I realized I was still speaking Spanish with a mix of Dutch words…Being awake for 48 hours does not work for me…

So I was extremely happy, which is basically a huge understatement, I mean it was a glorious event to get to Suriname in one piece and getting the most lovely and warm hugs and kisses from my good friend Neirude and her boyfriend Romeo.

No comments: